“Why I’ll Never Move to North Dakota”

August 30, 2012 by Hailey Goplen

Yesterday, I met a friend for coffee downtown to catch up on life. Though we talked about everything under the sun during our three hour coffee date, at some point the conversation turned to North Dakota (like it does so often with me). She asked me if I had seen the study that voted ND #1 state for 18-24 year olds. I said I had, though unfortunately I fall outside the age bracket (so sad). She then asked if I had seen the follow up article addressing this study titled, “Why I’ll Never Move to North Dakota”. My friend gave me a brief summary and then said she’d send me the link. While I encourage you to read the entire article and weigh in, I’ll give you a brief summary:

A young journalist from New York City (who has probably never been to North Dakota) thinks it’s a crummy state, that the study is ludicrous,  and that people are ridiculous to live here over big city life. Her three main reasons: 1. Yeah, there are jobs but I mean… they are probably just oil job. 2. It doesn’t matter if there are a lot of 18-24 year olds, with only 200,000 residents there is clearly no real social scene. 3. ND isn’t ethnic enough… forget the strong Native American heritage and the unique German and Norwegian culture that still is incredibly prominent. 4. The vibe… wait… what? (Note: I may have given myself a little liberty in the paraphrasing).

Alright, well let me address all four of your points from the perspective of someone who actually chose to move to North Dakota from a more populous state:

The job market. “No one can simply look at employment rates for a state and count on finding a job in their field. North Dakota’s economy may be booming, but that’s mostly due to its mining and shale industry.” True, jobs are plentiful out on the Western side of the state, however, the rest of the state isn’t doing too badly either. According the the Bureau of Labor and Statistics (July 2012), the unemployment rate is still only 3.3%. Additionally, Job Service North Dakota notes that there are more than 20,000 open positions across the state.

The social scene. Yes, Fargo is the largest city in the state and only has 200,000 residents. Yes, I have lived in bigger communities before and Washington DC was only a quick metro ride away. However, no town that I have ever lived in has provided so many community events for both young and old. And with three universities and various community and technical colleges near by, the community has provided plenty of opportunities to keep those “young people” occupied.

The diversity. Ok, I agree North Dakota lacks a bit of the diversity you might find on the east or west coast or in a larger city. At the same time however, I feel like much of the state realizes this. In turn, communities seem to put forth the effort to offer cultural opportunities to people as to not keep them in the dark about diversity.

The vibe. I don’t know what this means. “No matter how stellar a state’s economic report card may be, the personal connection people feel to a place is what truly matters. I’m a city girl and though I’m always up for traveling off the beaten path, I don’t thrive for very long outside of the concrete jungle.” Oh, so wait. Is she saying she wouldn’t move to North Dakota because she loves where she lives no matter what, and you should stay where you are happy? Hmm… interesting. I may be wrong, but couldn’t the same be said to those of us that are happy and content living in North Dakota? Additionally, as someone who has moved around a bit, if you don’t branch out of your comfort zone ever, you sure miss out on learning a lot about yourself.

So obviously I got a bit defensive when I read that article, and maybe I shouldn’t be. After all, when I wrote a blog post about a year ago addressing how outsiders have a negative image of North Dakota and the state needs some serious positive PR to show the true ND, a few readers disagreed. They said that the reason many communities are able to keep that “everyone knows you, small town, be kind to your neighbor feel” is because people aren’t flocking to move here. So I guess if a journalist from New York City wants to shout from the top of a mountain how she would never move to North Dakota… fine. Because really, the people that have made the decision to move to North Dakota (yours truly included) as well as those individuals who have lived here their entire life know the truth. NoDak rocks.

1. tennis elbow says:

Tennis is not the only activity that can cause tennis elbow.
    Friction forces that are developed as the tendons rub against bones or ligaments.

It is very simple to make a group amongst your
    own private friends.

2. Today, I went to the beachfront with my children.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put
    the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside
    and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

3. Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to understand a lot approximately this, like you
    wrote the guide in it or something. I believe that you simply could do with a few p.c.
    to pressure the message home a little bit, but
    other than that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read.
    I’ll definitely be back.

4. If it’s more than $100 trust me it’s more than you need. Machines used by
    professional cleaning services work hard for a
    living, usually 8-9 hours a day, seven days a week. When
    the filth you have vacuumed up meets the fill
    line, you should clear the cup.

5. After I originally commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new
    comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is added I receive
    4 emails with the same comment. There has to be an easy method you
    are able to remove me from that service? Thank you! facebook report, how
    to get more likes on facebook, get more Enthusiasts about facebook
    create facebook accounts, how to get more likes on facebook,
    boost supporters.

6. Its like you read my thoughts! You seem to understand a lot
    about this, such as you wrote the book in it or something.
    I believe that you can do with a few p.c. to drive the message home
    a little bit, but instead of that, that is great blog.
    A fantastic read. I’ll definitely be back.

7. Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is just
    cool and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to
    keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please
    keep up the gratifying work.

8. Unknown says:

This struck a nerve with me for several reasons. While im only 18 years old i consider myself well traveled having been to other countries as week as over 1/2 of our 50 states. My home is here. This place is unique and interesting all on its own accord. When i hear people complain about how “boring” it is here, i think to myself, look at the crime rate, its down. You go to New York or L.A., which are great for a vacation, and you have to worry about being mugged on the corner. Growing up in this “slow” paced world in my eyes is privilege. However thats just my two cents.

9. Paul says:

I grew up in North Dakota, and all I can say is, thank God I don’t live there anymore! I lived in Grand Forks, and while I had good friends there, you need more than a few good friends to enjoy any place. The place is very sleepy. There are few good restaurants. The Olive Garden is considered good Italian food – I kid you not. People are fairly laid back but everything revolved around UND Sioux sports. I never liked UND even though I went there for grad school. It’s not an impressive university with a serious intellectual climate. Many people in Grand Forks are racist and homophobic even though they have no reason to be (almost every one is white, so it’s perplexing, and there is no big gay scene there either). Overall you have lots of very fearful, sheltered, boring, and unimaginative people. So if you don’t like UND Sioux sports, there’s not much to do. I live part-time in upstate New York now and part-time in New York City. I love it. Upstate New York has mountains, lakes, hiking, skiing, and the medium-sized upstate cities have so much more to offer than the tiny cities in North Dakota. The beautiful 19th architecture in and of itself is amazing and a reason to live here. I don’t need to tell you about New York City (but I will anyway!): probably one of the greatest cities in world. When I’m in the city I live in Harlem and find it to be the coolest place I’ve ever been. Such friendly people, amazing food, great music, great cultural events, great lecture events, great libraries, museums, great progressive/liberal churches and temples. And you’re only 1.5 hours from the beautiful beaches on Long Island. Even though my parents live in North Dakota, I never miss it.

10. Dakota girl says:

Alright I’d like to leave my 2 cents in on this discussion because I think people are getting ridiculous by judging North Dakota with no real facts. I am 18 years old and have lived in Fargo,ND for about 5 years now. Honestly no there is not a lot to do in town. You have a couple cool coffee shops, record stores, a mall and a good amount of cheap shopping places. But it’s not as boring as people think when you start discovering the hidden treasures all around Fargo. And about diversity it’s way overexaggerated, I am as white as the snow we have 6 months out of the year and I can sit here and tell you 3/4ths of my friends are of different cultural backgrounds. As for North Dakotans being friendly we are, we are extremely friendly and help anyone that looks in need. But the greater population in Fargo tends to be INSANELY conservative and gossip about anything,everything, and anyone so if you have an open mind, are culturally/spiritually diverse you do get looked down upon. North Dakota is not the place for everyone but it is a great place to raise a family, it’s full of good people, and has a lot of great things to offer if you’re willing to look past the conservative values of the native North Dakotans and find it.

11. Fernie says:

I currently live in Lakewood California which is in Southern California. I used to live in central california but didn’t enjoy the too often racist jokes coming from people. And people were a little close minded but I did get a sense of things were changing. California has a lot of liberals and a lot of conservatives. It’s very diverse which I love. Except I’ve always been interested in living somewhere a little more quiet. I visited North Dakota, and was called the N word. I’m Mexican, not even black. That right there should tell you all you need to know about the people in North Dakota.

12. BreAunna greenough says:

i live here in North Dakota and I hate it here its boring there’s nothing to do you have to drive a hour just to get grocery’s. Its the most boring and gay state i have ever been to the prices are high and they act like everyone works in the oil field and not everyone is its just boring Im originally from Idaho.

13. Katherina says:

Wow, that’s what I was searching for, what a information! existing here at this web site, thanks admin of this site.

14. Wilbur says:

Hurrah, that’s what I was searching for, what a information! present here at this weblog, thanks admin of this web page.

15. Sayla says:

North Dakota sucks. Big time .bad weather, closed minded people and no diversity.
    Most of the jobs are service jobs or oil job. Rent is high and food is very costly.
    I can’t wait to move out of here..there is never anything to do. If you are not a drinker, or bar hopper( I don’t drink or smoke) you really dont have a social life here in bismarck, or any city in nd,
    People only come here for jobs .

• John says:

Closed minded people — LA and NYC and SF are not as open minded as you think. One ideology reigns supreme there: liberalism.

Diversity — I know what you’re thinking: There’s no diversity because people aren’t open minded. Wrong. There’s no diversity because the state doesn’t have any major cities, let alone major marketing. You’d be miserable in New Mexico and rural California.

• Shoshanna says:

California is not as liberal as one might think. Remember the fight for gay marriage that had to go all the way to the Supreme court? We’ve also sent Republicans to the White House and elected Arnold Schwartznegger as Governor ( not me personally, but you get my drift.) Don’t label California as liberal; the fact is everyone here is open to communication. The state overall is an exceptional place to live.

• MIKE says:

I moved here to South Dakota and it is similar to ND. The people here wave on the highway but it is insincere. The same people that do this wave are the same ones that will ignore you if you go to a community dinner etc and if you attempt to start a conversation with them they will look at you like you are some type of alien.
      They are clannish, simple minded, and suspicious of all outsiders.
      I am trying to get out, wish I had never bought a house here and would leave tomorrow if I could.
      It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation because one they have little knowledge outside their own area and don’t care what goes on in the world at large but are more than willing to gossip about others.
      The small town are all dying because they don’t care for “outsiders” moving in and discourage, so as they die off and their kids move away the towns get smaller and smaller.
      But hey Wave, Wave!

• R L Jackson says:

Vcould you not rent the home you do have, for income, move dome whre you ‘d like to try, somewhere nice and warm and either friendly people of diverse backgrounds, many churches and temples to choose from, and all kinds of restaurants, nightlife, as well as outdoor activities. Rent, and just try something new. I just don’t understand why if people are so bored there and really hate it, why don’t you move? I couldn’t ‘t live there. I have to have warm weather. 65 is too cold for me. I implore you, try the Douth. There are many states, and I bet you’d love the change, even if you don mt find the right one on the first try. I highly recommend N.C. Good luck to you.

16. hacinto says:

I know I’m late but I honestly can’t stress not to go to ND. Just the weather alone should be a clue.

17. Mat says:

I have been to many States in the US and many Countries in the world. I have met many people and I have never seen a worse place than North Dakota and worse people than the people who live in that State in my life. The people are so close-minded and haters. It is even worse, If you are from out of state or out of country. May God blast North Dakota. Amen!

18. I want out says:

I forgot to mention that if you’re good at sports, you might it here too. Jocks are treated like gods around here. Because being able to play football is a better characteristic to have than treating people with dignity despite your differences.
    Yes, I’m bitter and I hate it here.

19. I want out says:

I’ve lived in ND my whole life and I can’t wait to get out. “ND and MN nice” means nice to your face and then say what they REALLY think after you’re gone. To be fair, the reason for that is there is nothing better to do here other than drum up drama to break up the monotony that is ND. Other than the Badlands there is nothing interesting scenery-wise here. Yes, when there are floods people come out in droves to help, but the majority do it to get out of work or school or just to make themselves feel good about themselves. The only ones who really care about saving someone else’s property are friends and relatives of that person (of course there will always be a few exceptions to the rule). The oil boom has turned this state into the garbage dump of the country. But hey, we’re getting rich right?! Because that’s what’s important. Making money is important, but sometimes it isn’t worth the sacrifices. While there are some good things here, they aren’t things you can’t find some where else. Basically, if you don’t look or act a certain way, you’re not going to get treated very well. That certain way is white, Christian, and/or rich.

• CaliMali says:

Oh ya! We’ve been in ND, specifically Valley City, and it totally cracks me up how these people think they can judge people more culturally relevant, and educated than they are. All I can say is eeeewwww! I want to get out asap. The decrepit condition of the the character of these Nazis, the jokes on them. Why would anybody want to live in “50 below” degrees wind chill with people of this caliber. IF YOU ARE THINKING OF MOVING HERE…THINK AGAIN AND DON’T DO IT!

20. Lethe Hoxtell says:

As a minority who lives in North Dakota I would warn anybody who is not a white male not to move here. Yes there are jobs here but you will be working with racist people who will intimidate you any chance they get. The vibe here in North Dakota is if you are not white you obviously havent earned anything and if you dont laugh at their racist jokes you have more right than they do. North Dakota is very unfriendly to anybody with an open mind and it is very sad because it could be a great place to live.

21. Stacie says:

Hi there. We are thinking of a move to Bismarck. My husband accepted a job in Dickinson but I think Bismarck is larger and better school opportunities for my very involved 15 yr old (football, track, soccer, AP honors classes, avid skateboarder). I am admittedly a liberal. I like open mindedness and progressive cities with progressive thinking. I’m into yoga and Pilates (yep one of those). Alternative medicine etc. I’m a nurse by trade until I was diagnosed with Scleroderma and now I don’t work. I’m here in Shreveport Louisiana and despise it. I’ve never been more lonely until I lived here. Very closed minded people. Very southern thinking. I have faith and truly believe I am a pretty kind living accepting person and the irony is, I live in the Bible Belt now and never met a bunch or meaner less accepting ppl hiding behind their bibles. I need to get out. I’m just hoping Bismarck is the ticket. I’ve read ND is a conservative red state, BUT the people are nice and it seems the city itself seems progressive with infrastructure, community centers, events etc…,Can a liberal yoga chick make it in Bismarck, ND??? Sadly I love hiking and it seems that won’t be happening there. Lol

• CaliMali says:

OMG…please don’t move here. I totally regret doing the same thing because my husband accepted a job here. We only lasted six months. I am white and considered a conservative and I still don’t fit in. Our kids are treated horribly in school because are from out of state. :(

• Jackson says:

Bismarck is a great city and has tons of things to offer for people of all ages, and the schools are amazing. Don’t listen to any of these negative comments, they are nothing but garbage.

• hate it here says:

Seriously? are you blind and deaf or something? this state is a hideous shithole. two seasons winter and summer. 8 months of winter 4 months of summer. food is expensive, the state does not help those in need, if you are gay, black, lesbian, or female you have NO RIGHTS, people are close minded and if your not christian, or rich you are looked down upon. the younger generation that is here now expects everyone to pay their way and they not have to lift a finger “basically free ride” spoiled brats. those of you who “love” this state are as delusional as they come. ive lived here since 1991, then california, and i would take california hands down. not just because of the weather either.

• ArkLaTex says:

I grew up in Arkansas. Lived in Shreveport for two years. I actually like the city. There are bad areas and good, just like anywhere.

BUT I will say this with utter confidence, if you hate the Shreveport area due to closed-mindedness you are the problem. Not saying this as an attack, but the city offers many outlets and social engagements. You chose who you are surrounded by. YOU choose your happiness. If you are only around closed-minded southern hypocrites, QUIT going to those places.

Some of the most out spoken liberal minded women I have ever met live in the area. If you would like contact information or suggestions on things to do I would be happy to help.

But I may be moving to ND.

22. Michigander says:

I personally think this is a conflict of opinion. I am neither from the city nor North Dakota natively. However, I find the article a relief in certain aspects. Most of what I’ve found through the media boasts positive images of North Dakota, especially for young people trying to make a living. Unfortunately, money seems to be the only reason drawing people to the area, and frankly it’s a pretty depressing mindset. The culture seems to non-progressive and very conservative. If there is a sense of community, I haven’t found it in Minot. I’ve been scouring what information I can get ahold of for anything appealing in the area. Which brings me here. I’ve been trying to find anything remotely scenic nearby, but my search falls flat (no pun intended). Granted, the Theodore Roosevelt National Park is beautiful, as well as the Lake Metigoshee area (which reminds me of my home in the U.P.), but driving hours to find anything asthetic reassures me just how landlocked I am. As far as the nightlife goes, good luck. There’s definitely more here than my hometown, but that being said, I’ve been to dive bars that are more inviting. The art scene is lacking, as well as the music, which I could certainly get used to if the nearest city to find such wasn’t a days drive away. With as wide open and spacious as it is, I never thought I’d feel so claustrophobic. If we didnt have our son on the way, we’d be more than happy scraping by anywhere else, but North Dakota seems to be one of the few places doing well, economically speaking, and we need to provide as best as we can. If you’re a North Dakota native, I give you props. It’s not a place a lot of people can adapt to. But as the article posted, it’s the vibe a person gets from a place, and I’m hoping someone can tell where it’s at.

• Vin B says:

I’ve lived all over the country including big cities; I was born and raised in NJ, I’ved lived in NY, CA, FL, TX, AZ and those are just the places I had an actual address, you can add 40 more states and a couple of countries to the places I’ve visited or spent extended amounts of time.

I currently live in Minot, ND. Sure moving here was due economics, and my fiance is currently working here; but. I’m an artist, I can live anywhere.

I actually enjoy Minot:
      1) The art scene here is growing: Margie’s art glass studio is a great place for family and friends to gather and paint ceramics or make glass artwork together, stop in any time, its a nice coffee shop and you can spend hours downstairs painting. Unlike most ceramics shops you don’t pay by the hour so you can take as long as you want and it costs nothing extra. (even if it takes you weeks to complete a piece)

The Taube art museum may be small, but they rotate their collection, check their schedule for various events. The art loft across from it is still being built but will house artist studios and various shops and exhibits under it, should be done next month.

2) The game scene is very popular. Grandslam cards and comics hosts half a dozen magic the gathering card tournaments every week as well as other card games, warhammer miniatures and board games. And if thats not enough Force of Habit a couple blocks away hosts a variety of games as well (stop in both shops to find out more). Minots Magic the Gathering crowd is strong and growing especially at Grandslam and Force of Habit has a growing RPG scene.

3) The nightlife is somewhat lacking, but the early evening scene isn’t horrid. There’s a few decent restaurants, a wine bar and what’s actually more popular are coffee shop hangouts. Look for the wine walk tour of downtown, they do it a couple of times a year and the map they give you will lead you to some places you may not have found yet

I guess if you don’t like to paint, don’t like MTG or card games or don’t like wine bars and coffee shops, than all you would be left with is the dakota square mall and walmart. The mall is ok; it’s just small, and at least they have an ok movie theater.

For me, Margies Art Glass for painting ceramics and Grandslam for playing Magic are my main social circles with occasional visits to the mall for movies or just indoor walking (exercise). I also just found a really interesting Gym and a pastry shop (in the Bricks building); both of which I think I’ll be adding to my routine.

I suppose I do miss having a music scene (though anywhere feels like it has no music scene after living in Austin), but I’ve found a few hidden gems in Minot that make it livable and I’ve enjoyed it more than a lot of other places I’ve lived.

There’s also a variety of festivals/fairs that come to Minot each year; the state fair is worth going for at least a day each year (its open for a week, but you can see all the free shows and get a taste of the fair food in a day ~ go again if you are really into carnival rides, racing, country music and the other stuff)

And I know there is a zoo here, but I haven’t had a chance to visit yet; I think if you don’t like Minot you just haven’t really given it a chance, it can feel pretty empty at first but once you find a few places you like it starts to feel like home

23. Luisa says:

Ok, I am SO confused now after reading this whole blog about ND! Everyone’s opinion is SO different…some people LOVE it, some people HATE it I would just mainly like the facts…can anyone tell me any facts about the place? I live in Winston-Salem, NC and it is home, but the economy here is SO bad, I can’t even sell or rent out my beautiful 2 bed / 2 bath Condo. for $750/mo.!! (I’ve been trying to move for 2 yrs. now)!! It is also EXTREMELY difficult to find a good paying job here unless you are, of course, a doctor or a lawyer, or anything that requires a freakin’ doctorate degree! Oh, and another thing…our city’s population has grown 24% in the last year, because EVERYONE and their mother’s are moving here because they think it is SO great…well let me tell you…I’ve lived here my entire life, and it ain’t that great…the weather is still REALLY hot in the summer, and REALLY cold in the winter, and we are still VERY behind the times here compared to other bigger cities like Charlotte, Raleigh or Durham. The traffic (even just in the past 2 yrs.) has become almost unbearable (it takes me 10 min. just to get out of my neighborhood now), and people are very rude and fast drivers. Also, we have a 35% black population that keeps on growing—take that how you will, I’m just giving facts). Anyway, so there’s my rant about NC. (People also like to say they are close to the beach here, but the closest one for us is 4 hours away, and you can only swim 3 months out of the year when the water is warm enough!) So, I am ready for a drastic move, and I keep hearing about ND. I absolutely HATE cold weather, so the winters there would just about kill me I’m sure, but hey, if I could make a bunch of money in a couple of years, it might actually be worth it to me. I am college educated, and have experience in sales, so can anybody tell me…would it really be worth it to relocate to ND right now?! Is it really nearly impossible to find affordable housing, including even renting out a room? Thanks!

• Vin B says:

The biggest downside to ND is finding housing. It took us almost 2 years to find a 1 bedroom apartment for $750; you can find a few studio apartments in the $650 to $900 range; but anything of a decent size beyond that is $1500 and up; though there are some really nice 2 bedrooms (brand new buildings, never lived in) that are in that $1500 price range if you can afford it.

Jobs are everywhere; literally. You can come here get a job pretty much anywhere for $10 to $15 an hour (I’m talking walmart, mcdonalds, literally any rinky dink job pays $10+); you do that just to get by and than you start looking for a real job.

Once you have an income (any income) you can than spend your free time looking for good paying jobs; most will come from word of mouth or job fairs (theres a few job fairs each year).

If you get into anything like: construction, concrete laying, or any labor position you are looking at $18 to $25 an hour and depending on the time of year they may be willing to train you.

If you want big big money you have two options: get your CDL or have a college degree (of almost any kind). If you get your CDL there is massive demand for truck drivers up here; they can easily make $75,000+ a year. Or with a college degree you can get into an engineering position with the oil fields that pays $100,000+; and again they may be willing to train you on the specifics so long as you have some type of degree to prove you are able to learn.

Than there’s the actual oil field or train yard jobs; these pay anywhere from $20 to $40 an hour and some will have the ability to do 80+ hours a week (yes over 40 hours of overtime pay) Some of them include housing (though when they say housing, its a man-camp, as in you live in a camping trailer or pop up shack in a trailer park)

I know a kid (22 years old) with a graphics design degree that came up here and started working at a mcdonalds for $10 an hour; within 3 months he got a job with an oil company through a job fair for $18 an hour, it was labor, just hauling junk around. Within a month his company announced training for engineers if they had college degrees; he’s now making $130,000 salary a year after working for them less than 3 months; he works 4 days on for 12 hours a day and than has 3 days off, some weeks he isnt needed at all (still gets paid), sometimes (rarely) he will get called in for some emergency during his 3 days off. He’s been there almost a year now; his plan is to work for a couple more years and than retire to a a cheaper part of the country, buy a house in cash, a car with cash and essentially retire and live off the extra money he’s saving up while doing graphic design and artwork from home on the side. From what I’ve talked over with him it looks like he will have around $400,000 saved up when he “retires” at age 26

The winter is cold, the summer is hot, the fall/spring barely exist, it just jumps from hot to cold and back again. It’s the nature of where the state sits in the weather patterns of the country; it gets its cold fronts directly from Canada and almost no moisture comes from the west because its stopped by the mountains so it creates one extreme or the other. Hot dry spells followed by cold wet ones.

As for places to live; the best jobs are in Williston; the biggest city is Fargo, they are opposite sides of the state. The best mix of the two is Minot; its a decent size city, it hosts the state fair and there’s quite a few jobs though some of the best will have you traveling in and out of the city to outlying parts of the state. If you just want to visit and explore, I’d suggest starting with Minot, you’ll get a feel for where the jobs are and decide where to go from there, or if you want to stay in Minot (where decent paying service jobs are everywhere) while looking for something that pays better in the long run (lots of job fairs here, center of the state even if they want you for somewhere else)

If you play MTG or like to paint than Minots also a good place to be

• Tee says:

Since it appears from the majority of that live their posted it a racist population, Small minded people, you should move there. You are so concerned about the 35% of black people in your town.
      There is no other way to take it. Since you claim you are educated but yet ignorant just do your research before you pack up and leave your crummy life and make sure you check the statistics of ethnicity in ND.

• R L Jackson says:

Go to Raleigh. You ‘ll die in the cold in ZnD. The are and cafe scene is top notch. You have 10 or 12 movie theaters to choose from. Many jobs for all backgrounds. Pullen Park. Glenwood South. The NCMA. Real estate is booming. All kinds of apts and lofts to rent, all over the city. Approx 12 small towns orbit around Raleigh, all of them hopping, some more than others, cheaper housing in them, yet you can still be in Raleigh in mins from most of them. Very lively music scene in downtown Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel a Hill. Basketball, football, hockey, ice skating, paddle board, even nearby ultralights and sailing and speed boats. paddle the Zeno. Go to the Shakori Hills Festival. Be in Wilmington or on Wrightsville Beach or Emerald Isle in 2.5 hours to 3 hours. What’re you waiting for. Start by looking at the jobs on Indeed.com. Most people don’t know about it. Look at the web sites for the Community a Colleges, the main colleges, and the a Job Search on a Employment Security Comm. Good luck.

24. Hey nice post you made. Thank you for this before.

I love at the second paraghrap you posted. It is so mean for me.

Anyways I inspirated to create similar post to my blog hehehe
    Thanks so much though.

25. Brandon J says:

thinking of moving to fargo from atlanta :D

26. Tikmousse says:

Many North Dakotans claim to be Patriotic, God-fearing, Christians, yet their hatred for minorities and racist attitude toward minorities (including military veterans) makes their hypocrisy laughable.

27. Daniela says:

Hi everyone!

This blog is mainly centered around Fargo, does anyone have any feedback on Minot? My job offered me a relocation there for a couple of years and my only incentive to do so would be the promotion/raise. After living in Denver, I can say that the city life here compliments me well. I like being close enough to the mountains to be active in outdoor activities, but to also have a place with a good social life. I like going to coffee shops, happy hours after work, museums, show productions, etc. I know many of you are thinking I’m not going to fit in ND well, but since it’s a temporary move, I think it’s something I may be able to compromise for a little bit.

How is life in Minot? I know the Air Force is there, so I assume it adds to the younger population numbers. What do people do for fun? what about winters when it’s so cold you have to stay inside? Is flying a big challenge during those months?

The general consensus has been summer is great! So pretty and active lifestyles going on. Winter is horrible and there’s nothing to do for months!

Another huge factor, I have a 1 year old. I don’t want to take her to a place where she wouldn’t be safe, wouldn’t have the chance to interact with other kids or be active. Any parents in Minot have any feedback?

Thanks everyone!

• Elaine says:

Hi Daniela,
      I grew up in my teens in Minot and was lured to Denver for a much better job in the 1970′s. There are many times I wished I stayed put in Minot! However, one husband and one son later, I still live in Denver!

Yes, Minot will be a change. It’s slow catching on to the rest of the world socially. (First McDonalds came in 1970 and no one in the town knew what a TACO was until my family introduced them!) Really, this slow pace is nice, as it gives you more time to cultivate a small group of very close friends. Yes, the Air Force presence accounts for some of the socialization in town, but the base is 18 miles north. In the Viet Nam era, the base didn’t have many schools or other “entertainment” options so there was a steady flow of High School and college students as well as “Flyboys” into Minot. I have heard that the base is more self-sufficient now, and doesn’t have the numbers it once had so the effect on the town may have diminished.
      Winters are cold, but just like Denver used to be (1970′s and 80′s) there is always outdoor activities in Minot or surrounding area, including sledding, cross-country skiing, downhill skiing (lol…the Turtle Mtns are just bumps in the distant north!)skating and snowmobiling. The cold will last longer, but heck! Most don’t die from it in Minot. Just common sense, and keep the survival gear close at hand. You are from Denver…you know snow and cold… just maybe not as intense! (A Californian may have trouble in ND winter,) Driving in winter in Minot is less stressful as you don’t have as many cars on the road. Face it, Denver rush hour in a snowstorm is not for the faint of heart.
      I know lots of ND people in Colorado and most really miss it. They left for economic reasons…other than farming, the opportunities in ND were nil for decades. One sad quote in the 1990′s “North Dakota’s greatest export is it’s young people.” Now with the oil boom, that is changing.

Children thrive wonderfully in ND and in Minot. They grow up unencumbered without the over-zealous watchfulness found in other regions. I can’t imagine your child ever asking you “why did you take me to ND?” She/he will love being there, as long as you take an active part in his/her life. Great schools, headstart programs, etc as well as church programs if you are interested.

You are doing a great job asking for other opinions from strangers about Minot. Good luck to you!

Me? I was raised near San Diego CA, and at age 12, my widowed mother took her children back to her home state of ND. I lived for 12 years in Minot, experienced culture shock, and grew to love the place. I really hated to leave, but the job offer in Denver was too good to pass. I go back to Minot every 3-4 yrs as my brother still lives there. Denver is #1 for me now, but I really miss the quiet solitude found in Minot!

• Jalynn says:

Minot is horrible, of course, that’s just MY opinion. I have moved about 60 times and lived all over the US and some parts of Western Europe and Minot was just about the worst place I could ever imagine living. Let me address some of your things: 1) there are very few museums here…in fact…I think there might be only one or two really small ones in Minot. Bismarck (1.5 hour away) has a big one. It’s quite the vacation to go to Bismarck. 2)There are some coffee shops. For happy hour, I hope you like beer. Most people only drink beer. And there are TONS of bars. And by bars, I mean, REAL bars. No clubs. 3) The town really dislikes the Air Force. I moved there because my husband was in the Air Force and they call us “basers” and that is in no means an endearing term. So “basers” usually hang out on base. I found it extremely difficult to make friends, despite the supposedly large younger age group, with any native NoDaks and I never have problems with that. After a year I gave up and stuck with my baser friends. 4) what to do for fun? Nothing. There are no mountains, no ocean, no hills, no….anything really. They have lakes and if you want to drive (and oh you will DRIVE since all the towns are HOURS in between each other), There’s Bismarck, slight bigger version of Minot and Fargo is about 4.5 hours east. In the winter, you will never want to walk outside so forget trying to find anything fun to do except shoveling your snow almost everyday. Not because it snows everyday, but because the huge gusting winds of 70mph blow is all right back. And the winter lasts between 8-9 months. Enjoy. 5) Flying. OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE! Plan on spending $500-1000 more than you think you would anywhere else. We never vacationed or flew or visited family for holidays. I would buy my ticket MONTHS in advance and it would still cost $600. Maybe it has gotten slightly better, but I remember driving to Minneapolis (9hours one way) just so we could pay $300 a ticket for Christmas instead of $1000 from the Minot airport. No joke. $1000 a ticket. Even with the gas and parking fees, we saved almost $1200 dollars. 6) Safety. I would have said Minot is the safest place ever because it’s so cold no one wants to rob or kill or do anything that requires going outside but I just went for a visit in January (unfortunate friends still live there)I heard about how you could not even go to Walmart because there had been many kidnappings lately. After the flood, Minot had quite the rise in crime but it’s still probably considerable safer than anywhere else. Someone gets stabbed and it’s talked about for years! As someone else mentioned, it is BEHIND the times, but I think they are now only about 6 months behind instead of years :) Really, really consider this move. I had no choice but if I did, I would NEVER have moved there. But you might like it.

28. Amanda B says:

Hey yall…. I have been considering looking for a job and moving to North Dakota. I was born and raise in a small southern town in south Georgia and Im use to and love the small town back woods living. There are NO jobs here at all!! Everything is shutting down which is why Im out of a job. Im still young (25) no children or a husband. I have insanely bad allergies and this humid Ga heat kills me. After reading all the comments North Dakota seems like the perfect place for me! I would like to know what would be the best part of ND to live in and work in? I want to live in the country I HATE APARTMENTS!!!! I am by no means a city girl. Im a good ol redneck with simple needs lol. So any help I can get would be so great! I dont care about the city life and clubs and all that other stufff these folks were saying ND lacked and made it boring. So enough of my rant thank yall so much for the help!

• Brandon J says:

Yea im from atlanta and ive been here all my life(27 yrs) and i have been hearing about fargo and i want to move there to make a better way for my family because there are literally no jobs here

29. Michigan girl says:

I personally dislike living out here. Nothing personal to the state or people it is just so different from home. I like trail walks through the woods and the great lakes. People from the plains would probably feel the same way i do if they were to go live in Michigan. Just really a matter of taste. There are great attributes about here, but thats the same everywhere. Every place is home and great to someone. I miss home but am so greatful for the opportunities North Dakota has given my family.

30. JX says:

I’ve read this whole line of comments, and, has anyone ever mentioned Grand Forks? I’ve lived there for my whole life (until about half a month ago) and I loved it there. I know Grand Forks is on the very edge of North Dakota, but I’ve to Fargo, Bismarck, Minot, and even small towns like Anamoose, or McClusky. I live in Minnesota now (Brooklyn Park) and every time I go to North Dakota (to visit family) and can even tell the difference in the trees. If I had a chance to move back, I definitely would.

• Steve says:

Well Brooklyn Park is a crappy place to move to. If you could afford it check out Maple grove or Plymouth, you would likely enjoy minnesota more.

31. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really recognize what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my web site =). We will have a hyperlink change agreement among us

32. Raul says:

It’s amazing designed for me to have a site, which is beneficial in support of my know-how. thanks admin

33. Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is great, let alone the content!

34. Erin says:

I am so glad I found this blog, as I have been needing a good inside perspective on live in Fargo, ND. I grew up in South Dakota but was happy to move to Ft. Lauderdale, Denver and then San Diego, CA where I have been for the past 6 years. Thing is, I am pregnant and most of my family is in Fargo. They are all begging me to move there. Thing is, I LOVE it here in San Diego and I am afraid that if I move I will be thinking – What have I done. But the alternative is I stay here, go broke and am stressed out trying to support a baby with 0 family here to help me. I have a good job, but its not like I’m making $100k or even close to it to actually be ok here raising a child on my own. Don’t ask about my personal situation as it is quite a mess right now, but my husband (soon to be ex) unexpecedly abandoned me after I found out I was pregnant.
    Anyway – after living in these big cities which I prefer and having the most beautiful weather and sunny beaches, will I survive and most importantly be happy in Fargo? I fear that I move and while having family is great and all, I feel that I made a huge mistake and I’m miserable.
    I moved back to Denver a while back and lasted a month and had to take off because I missed San Diego so much.

I am not sure if anyone is from CA that moved to Fargo, but I would love you advice or any input you may have and just give me your honest opinion!

Thank you!

35. Martina says:

After reading all the comments here, I unfairly neglected to even read the New Yorkers article. I can honestly say that after living in Denver, CO for 17 years, and coming from small town KS, I would “jump” at the chance to relocate to North Dakota. That “small town” atmosphere personally appeals to me now, however, I do not have the means to do so. Arent you all happy that we live in a country that allows us to post our comments without fear of retaliation? I realize this is not the forum for posting skills, but hey, I say “take a chance”….you never know what opportunity will arise if you present yourself legitimately. I’m skilled in Administrative, Personal Assistant (non-medical), but I am capable of committing to ANY hard physical labor. Great comments all!…..martinalb@outlook.com

36. Alex says:

I lived in ND for 12 years and I will NEVER be moving back. It’s just not somewhere I want to live, it may work for others but not me. I see a lot of posts commenting on how friendly people from Fargo are. I think I have a different idea of ‘friendliness’ than those people do. I mean, sure, holding a door open could be considered friendly by some but I call that kindness, giving up a seat on a bus is KIND, not friendly. When I lived in ND (and visited, the most recent time in early 2012) people were more than kind. People were overly friendly. I’ve grown to strongly dislike this kind of people. Strangers there would randomly smile at you for no reason, they had to know everything about you and your family and where you’re from and what you do for a living. They can’t just mumble ‘sorry’ if they bump into you and then go on their way. No, they have to get to know you and follow you throughout the store for 5 min trying to find out if your children could possibly know each other. If you experience that every day you may think it’s friendly, but even when I lived there (in Valley City for 5 years and Fargo for 7) it did nothing but weird me out and I began to wonder if everyone there was slightly mental.

One thing I didn’t notice when I lived there was the level of bigoted ignorance. Until I was able to get out of the state for a few years and live in other parts of the country I didn’t realize just how racist ND was. I went back to visit old friends in 2008 and again in 2012, both times I was struck with how rudely not only complete strangers but also my ‘friends’ reacted towards anything they weren’t familiar with. It’s understandable to be nervous or scared when in a ‘bad part’ of town but people in Fargo take it to an extreme. I’m talking serious racism. My friends had also seem to become rich since I had left and were literally afraid of experiencing anything less than first class. One sign in Spanish suddenly meant that everything outside the car doors were to regarded with extreme caution or you may end up dead.

It drove me crazy and I mentioned it to them. I was then suddenly the target and was being told that I am ‘inexperienced’ and don’t know what I’m talking about, what could I know about ‘other’ types of people?

I found this so ironic I could barely stop from laughing out loud and insulting them. I didn’t know anything about ‘other’ people? The schools I attended in ND were about 90% white people and the minorities were obviously looked down upon. After moving I went to high school in another state and white people there were a minority. My roommate in college had been born in Mexico and when I spent Thanksgiving with their family I found that I was one of the three people (out of the 11 spending the holiday) that spoke English.

Even if everyone up north suddenly learned to accept everyone and realized that their opinions aren’t they only ones that matter, I still wouldn’t move back. There’s nothing to do in Fargo. There’s bowling (oh gee, fun, bowling…every day…all year…), there’s a public pool that toddlers urinate in, there’s…um…minimum budget stage plays that repeat all year. The closet to real entertainment you get is minor league baseball or some cheap college sports.

Speaking of NDSU, while it’s true some of their sports have been doing well lately, their fans ruin the experience for any newcomers. Loving your team is totally fine but bison fans take it too far. Think of NHL fans. Now multiply that by three. Obsession. I actually looked at NDSU when I was applying to colleges, an old friend’s family had offered to let me live with them to save on room and board. No matter how much I hated the state I figured it would be stupid not to consider an offer like that. So I even toured the campus. No, never. They have the worst layout of any college campus I have been ever been on. Most of the buildings are made of brick and built 100 years ago and while shade is great, there were so many giant oak trees the sunlight couldn’t get through. It was depressing. Not to mention it’s a small school so there limited selection of courses had nothing even remotely close to my major, so had I enrolled there, I had have had to completely change my career path.

So I guess it depends on the person. If you like the whole, small community, everyone-knows-everyone thing (ugh), you’ll find that in Fargo. If you’re used to a city of 10 million people with diversity, activity, nightlife, an actual variety of things like schools and restaurants, and even buildings with more than 20 floors…trust me. Don’t move to North Dakota.

P.S. – The few Mexican restaurants in Fargo are not worth your time. They’re as American as baseball. Absolutely no heat. At all. If you’re gonna spend money on Mexican food make sure it’s authentic. It’s so much better tasting!

• Joni says:

We’ve lived here for almost a year – moved from Washington State and have not experienced such friendliness either. We had a liberal bumper sticker on our car and took it off after getting sooo tired of people flipping us off, yelling at us through their car windows and giving us horrible looks and shaking their heads as if we were the worst people in the world. One guy actually yelled at my husband at a stop light on Main Ave. He told my husband to roll his window down, asked him what voting liberal “ever did for him?!” and called him a “piece of shit.” Then he squealed his tires LOUDLY and drove off. There is definitely a lot of ignorance in Fargo and a lot of “one-way” thinking amongst people. It’s as though they are saying, “It’s one way, there’s NO other way and even if there is, we’re not going to think about it because we don’t want to change.” I definitely feel like I’m back in time here; about 1985 or so. I’m not saying this to be mean; just sharing my experience.

• Haley says:

Hey, your comment really made me giggle. I grew up in ND, and as much as I would like to say that I love it here… that would be a lie. You see, I grew up here as a bisexual and a nonchristian… I think it goes without saying that I was not exactly welcomed into the Midwestern fold. Sometimes, really amazing things would happen, like the huge burly Minnesota family who pushed my (ex)girlfriend and I out of the ditch when we got stuck in the snow and then drove away without saying a word. Other times, less nice things would happen, like the (many) mothers who pulled their children closer when she and I were nearby or acted like we’d flashed them when we kissed (briefly, in the peck-on-the-lips way). I can’t tell you the number of times I would be speaking to a perfectly nice cashier/waitress/stranger (in that overly solicitous way that you mentioned above, because I grew up here and it’s habit) and then I would mention the phrase “my girlfriend” and they would instantly shut down. I could literally see the transition from “one of us” to “one of them.” Anyway, I’m just venting now, but I wanted to say “I know how you feel!” and “You made me laugh!”
      Also, no offense meant to the author of the article. I am glad that other people like it here! I know not everyone is a bigot, even if I do think it’s a widespread and accepted part of the culture here.

• JACK says:

How idiotic! I’m black, and moved to ND, and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else! I like people being friendly, i like that people Talk, And ask questions. I like people being intimate (conversationally). These are all good things! Stay in the city where u belong, liberal!

• mac says:

How terribly awful for you. So many years spent there – so much time in that waste land of North Dakota. A red state that seems to be the place for abundant jobs and business growth, and kindness – silly notion. Why waste you breath?

37. Andrea says:

I think this is a great perspective. It should go without saying that North Dakota (any city) and NYC are polar opposites, and may not attract the same residents, although I found the article to be needlessly condescending.

Thank you for your sensible rebuttal!

38. Jen Garrett says:

It sounds like the writer of the article had a looming deadline and needed a punching bag…. “Living in ND would stink….” but then gloss it over with “…well, that’s my opinion….”

It’s like a bad school essay — “You can’t fault me for my opinion.” Okay, so we’ll fault you for lousy IMO writing. Good IMO writing will at least halfway convince me…. Right now I’m inclined to avoid NYC for fear of become narrow-minded. And poor.

39. E.S. says:

Thank you for your refreshing perspective! I’m a native North Dakotan who has traveled extensively, lived in several countries…and I have studied world cultures at length, so human diversity is something I cherish. That said, North Dakota will always be precious to me for so many reasons. I do agree with you; people who detract from the community-centered social values are welcome to avoid the state. It can be the best-kept-secret for the rest of us!

40. OLIVE MILLER says:

Hello, please help me out. Thinking of moving to ND soon need some input. Thank You.

• Rachel says:

Did you move to North Dakota? Where would you be moving too? In Fargo you get big city life with a small commute time. It’s nice to get home 15 minutes or less on the commute. The people are friendly and will help strangers. North Dakota has good old time values at any age. And no don’t refer to that movie Fargo we don’t all talk like that anymore. There is modern technology we are not in the dark ages as some would think. There is no smog to deal with, no hurricanes, earthquakes or too many tornados. Just have to deal with snow in the winter but you just stay in and don’t have to leave your home to be safe like hurricanes. I have lived in this area since 1988.

• Joni says:

Rachel- the “modern technology” you refer to is still “in the dark ages” as compared to many other places in the country. It’s gotten better, I’m sure, but it’s still not modern (meaning, up-to-date) by any means. When we moved here we were given the “most current top-of-the-line” DVR via Cable One. It was the same one we got in Washington 12 years ago. Same with “big city life.” For HERE it probably seems like “big city life” but Fargo by no means IS “big city life.” Fargo does have a lot of “newer” restaurants (Smash Burger, Texas Roadhouse, Johnny Carinos, Famous Dave’s BBQ…). I’ll give it that.
        I’m not saying this to offend you, I’m just saying that is just your perspective, having been here since 1988.

• JACK says:

i didn’t come here for new DVR’s (i could care less about that) I came here for rural quiet, and nice people..i got both

41. hammer says:

excellent article..i just moved here from NY, myself, and it’s awesome! Im tired of these NY elitists who think they’re better than others!

42. MN Girl says:

Hi Hailey!

I have been searching and searching for a great blog about life in Fargo – and this is it! Why was I looking for this? Well, my fiance (soon to be husband on Saturday!?) has been offered a job in Fargo and we’re facing a life-changing decision. Should we take a leap and move to North Dakota? I think you and I are right around the same age, and I’d love to hear more from you about the area. We can also connect on our decision to move “for a boy.” ;) I’ll keep digging into your blog, but if you get a chance to send an email, I’d love to touch base. Thanks again for your lovely blog and positive outlook on life. :)

• Rachel says:

North Dakota is a great place to live. You get big city life in Fargo but everything is within 15 minutes away. You don’t have to deal with much of before or after work traffic and sit there for an hour. I have lived in the Fargo area since 1988 and love it. Where from Minnesota are you coming from? Did you move to North Dakota?

43. Sioux guy says:

I know a lot of people that have moved away from North Dakota and moved back when they have started a family, and all seem very happy to be back. Sure, North Dakota isn’t for everybody, but that’s o.k., there are a lot of cities that I like to visit, but would never want to live in. Hey, a ten to fifteen minute commute compared to an hour or so, gives me that much more time living than the average New Yorker.

44. Adam says:

I’m defently not say ND is the best place to live or everyone here is friendly as can be all the time ( everyone has bad days and not everyone is originally from ND) but we are defently not as bad as people make us out to be and I’ve never been to a place filled with people who want and will help someone they hardly know if they need it and there is no place I would rather live but I’m not going to say I refuse to move somewhere I’ve never been before for reasons I’ve never experienced for myself .… as a great person once said NoDak rocks ……. But it’s probably not the only place that does

45. Bill says:

How much trash do you have in your cities? I’m all for diversity, but also for personal responsibility. What I see in these great mass metro areas I’ve lived in and visited, is a large assortment of neighborhoods where you roll up the windows and lock the doors. Local residents in the know, never even travel in them. So, how much of that do you have? Personally, there is some diversity I’d prefer to avoid.

46. Jay says:

I think people from other areas would like here much more if people from the region would be more accepting. I hate to say it but the local people are not accepting and are not as friendly as you think you are. And I always love it when they say things like ND nice or MN Nice. That is amusing because it is not true. And by the way I lived in many places in my life and over a decade here and this place has by far been the most unfriendly. So I speak from experience.

• Chris says:

Thank You! I lived there for 4 years (Fargo) and the people were so rude and nasty. Maybe because they drink too much or the winter time is crippling. I just found the people to be generally unhappy and very weary of strangers.

• Hmm… it’s interesting how people can have such different experiences. I’ve lived multiple places as well and ND has by far been the friendliest place I’ve ever lived. I do think people are a little weary of strangers depending on the size of town you are visiting. I definitely was a stranger at first and it was pretty obvious, but I’ve never really had a bad experience with anyone being rude… except when driving.

47. Bison Fan says:

Still needs to be pointed out, Fargo has 105,000 or so people. There are three other cities and some small towns that push the metro well over 200,000.

48. Brigit says:

Please shout your dislike from the NYC rooftops. We don’t need you in ND. And I say that at the risk of not sounding like a friendly North Dakotan. I like being able to afford a “lifestyle” on my meager salary that I would not enjoy in NYC. I don’t make much more than the amount she quoted for a journalist but I have a HOUSE, and LAND, and a FAMILY. I would be willing to bet her NYC apartment would fit in my garage. I am not trying to say I’ve got it all…the point I am trying to make is that you can make a living and have a life in ND…..and you can do it without killing yourself. No we may not be fancy. Your drink is more likely to contain a generous amount of alcohol than an umbrella. You might have to make an effort to expose your self to diversity but it is DEFINITELY here. The FM area is incredibly diverse for the size of our population and if you don’t think so you aren’t paying attention. Are there more exciting places in the world to live? You bet your @$$ there are. I know people who have moved to those places and discovered that living there and visiting there are 2 very different worlds. Many of those things people LOVE about exciting and exotic locations aren’t enjoyed by people who actually live there. With the exception of renting a room at the HoDo I would say that I enjoy all the amenities that the FM area has to offer and I can do it as frequently as I want because with $7 martini’s, fantastic ethnic food at very affordable prices, cultural events galore, and free community events who can’t afford a little fun?

49. Adam says:

My thing was the I would only make 31,000 as a reporter comment….. Yes you would only make 31,000 (seeing your article you would be lucky to make that) but when you pay next to nothing in rent, half if not less for a salad of probably better quality, and you could go out drinking with 40 bucks in your pocket and still have change left at the end of the night

• I agree. She was definitely taking the salary out of context. Reporters in NYC NEED to make more money because the cost of living is much higher. Clearly a little extra investigation was needed for an accurate article.

• Amanda says:

My sister is a receptionist in Los Angeles and makes $45k a year. She would be rolling in the dough in some places, but LA……

• Chris says:

Actually I live in a town of 3 million people now and pay the same for rent (for a apartment that’s the same size as in Fargo) and I actually pay less for groceries. Plus I can find a job that pays more than $10-$12 an hour. People who think Fargo has a low cost of living has just never lived anywhere else. Don’t believe the hype!

• It must depend on the city you live in. I’ve lived other places as well and the rent I pay in Fargo has been the cheapest. Obviously there are other things to take into consideration.

• Amanda says:

It most definitely depends on the city. Just because you have an apartment the same size, that costs less, doesn’t mean you live in a good neighborhood (doesn’t mean that you don’t either)!! It’s pretty darn cheap to live in a lot of population 3 million cities, that is still a small city, relatively speaking!
        I also got paid much more than $12 an hour working in Fargo, 5 years ago! I barely make over that now outside of San Fran. Size of city does not mean anything when it comes to paychecks. In fact, people usually get paid a whole lot more to live somewhere smallish, incentive!!! I got paid ALOT more than I likely ever will, living in Minot, ND. It’s not a #1 choice of living for me!!

• Maria says:

Hopefully none of the flooding comes to pass this year, its hard to bleveie it has been just about a year since the last one. I’ve updated my blog with a number of flood resources people can hopefully use. =================

50. Love it! I’m a Bismarck and North Dakota Native of 25 years and I wouldn’t change it for anything.

51. Andrea says:

Its funny just the other day i was at my local taco Johns (yum) and a man comes in places his order and just started chatting with me about how nice people are here, i asked him oh youre not from here he said nope im from NYC, its amazing how nice and friendly and how everyone just talks to you like they are your best friend, its not like that in NYC and he also mentioned how going out in NYC was just not fun anymore with the high costs of drinks and such. He was just passing through as he was checking out schools in California for a basketball scholarship, i love talking to people who arent from here and are just surprised at how ND is not as uncool as some people make it :)

52. Logan says:

When I read that New York reporter’s post, I just felt sad for her. She’s the one missing out.

53. Amanda says:

I was born and raised Dakotan. I currently live on the outskirts of San Francisco. Let me say, I miss the nightlife in Fargo! Our best memories come from time “going out” in ND & SD! Here, I have to dress to someone else’s liking, pay $12 for a weak beverage, and the social aspect just isn’t the same! Sure there are friendly people everywhere, but the percentage is soooo much lower. We are surrounded by millions of people and have no idea who our neighbors are. While living in SD and ND, it was “so annoying” to have so many people in your business, but you can count on those people to have your back at the same time! Trustworthiness is a Dakotan’s #1 trait!!! If someone chooses not to live in the Dakota’s, that’s one less person to water down the great state!

54. Burns says:

Nicely done Hailey! For a person is who loves diversity she sure is acting very closed-minded to a different culture. I am not going to lie I had my doubts when I moved site unseen but it ended up being the best decision of my life. I moved and I am living in the “urban jungle” now and I miss ND everyday. Not because of outdoors or the entertainment, because of the people. ND has it all over the the east and west coast on community and support. I was never bored in ND because of the people. There were many times when I lived in NYC when I was bored or frustrated because of the people. Don’t get me wrong there are friendly, motivating, and amazing people everywhere; there just seems to be a larger concentration in ND. WOO HOO Fargo!

• Haha I agree Dr. Burns! Yes of course there are good people wherever you go, but sometimes it seems like you sure have to search a lot harder to find them in larger cities. Fargo… and ND in general… is stock full of them.

55. Jo Bugge says:

Bravo! You sound like a hard core North Dakotan! Hope springs eternal for converts!

56. Nancy says:

Hailey, I love this post! I just read the article in question. She can’t really live “outside the concrete jungle?” That doesn’t make ND a bad place to live – that makes her weak. It must be awful to be this close-minded in life. You’d think that with all the “diversity” she is used to on a daily basis she would actually do her homework before passing judgements rather than Googling “North Dakota.” Credibility is key, and she has missed the mark on multiple items. But what do I know?…I’m just a girl from NY/NJ who lives in ND :)

57. Brianne says:

Or like Sam always says, “We like to keep the Riff-Raff out.” ;)